Statewide Outage More Info

Delaware Department of
Technology & Information

Delaware Department of Technology & Information

24×7 Technical Support

Contact the Service Desk
The Service desk makes every effort to process emails quickly and in concert with phone calls. However, to maximize our availability to address agency emergencies, telephone calls are addressed prior to issues submitted via email. Emergency issues should be reported to the Service Desk via telephone to ensure the quickest possible resolution.

While DTI proactively performs Root Cause Analysis (RCA)s when several incidents of a similar nature occur, customers may request an RCA by contacting their Customer Engagement Specialist (CES).

For an explanation of ticket severity levels, see the DTI Severity Level Quick Reference Card *Available on the Delaware State Network only.



Local Agency Help Desks
Non-Executive Branch agencies and Non-ITC partners should contact their local IT Help Desk first.  Here is a listing of some of the local help desk phone numbers and email addresses.

All are available during normal business hours only unless otherwise noted.

Delaware Criminal Justice Information System (DELJIS)
(302) 739-3293  Normal business hours
(302) 659-2341  After hours

Department of Corrections (DOC)
(302) 857-5400

Department of Education (DOE)
(302) 735-4140
Department of Health & Social Services (DHSS)
(302) 255-9150

Department of Justice (DOJ)
(302) 577-8437
Department of Services for Children, Youth, & Families (DSCYF)
(800) 891-9909

Delaware State Police (DSP)
(302) 739-7000  24 hours / 7 days a week

First State Financials (FSF)
(302) 526-5600

Government Information Center (GIC)

Website Maintenance Requests

Judicial Information Center – Courts (JIC)
(302) 323-5369 Option 3

Payroll Human Resources Statewide Technology (PHRST) **
(302) 739-8066

State Bureau of Identification (SBI)
(302) 739-5882
(302) 739-2134
** The PHRST Help Desk supports Human Resources, Benefits Administration and Payroll end users only.
Questions from any other employee should be directed to the employee’s agency Human Resources, Benefits, or Payroll office.

Related Topics:  ,